In this webinar, our YOPD Council members discuss how understanding your mental and physical limitations with Parkinson’s can improve your quality of life.
Watch the video and read the show notes below.
The YOPD Council: Reaching Your Limit
To download the audio, click here.
To download the transcript, click here.
- Living well not only includes recognizing your own physical and mental limitations but also being able to set boundaries with others to honor those limitations.
- Accepting your limitations, physically, mentally, or otherwise, can be a challenging process. Seeking and building a Parkinson’s community can be incredibly helpful in feeling supported during this process.
- Consider what your boundaries and limits may be for social media use. For some, like Sree, using social media may positively impact her because it allows her to advocate and connect with friends more easily, among other things. For others, social media may be a drain, affecting your mental health, or like Robynn, causing your attention to feel too divided.
- If you feel limitations going out to restaurants, consider ordering delivery and inviting friends to your home instead of going out, or try, as Kevin suggests, to find a restaurant where you can secure a private room.
- Remember that it’s ok to ask for help. Asking for help doesn’t make you any less capable, worthy, or valuable and can significantly improve the ease of moving through your day. Plus, as Heather mentions, most people like to help. It gives them a feeling of purpose. So instead of thinking that asking for help will be a drain on others, think of it as a gift you are giving them.
Mentioned and Additional Resources
- Ping Pong Parkinson Training Session
- I Love Ping Pong Official Music Video
- Ping Pong Parkinson Website
- 2022 US National Table Tennis Championships
- Connect with one of our Ambassadors!
Missed this webinar? join us next time!
The YOPD Council meets on the third Thursday of every month, and every session is recorded and shared for all to access. Register for the YOPD Council series here, after which you will be invited to join live and notified when a new webinar recording is posted. Are you interested in catching up on past YOPD Council webinar recordings? You can find all recordings on various subjects on our YOPD Council Youtube playlist, and don’t forget to subscribe to our channel to be notified when new Youtube content becomes available.