In this episode, social worker Jessica Shurer, MSW, LCSW, discusses:
- What self-care for Parkinson’s care partners actually means
- The complexities of mental health for Parkinson’s care partners, including anticipatory grief and high levels of unpredictability
- The shift in identity when becoming a care partner
- The influence of negative self talk
- Understanding the signs of depression, anxiety, and caregiver burden
- The importance of self awareness in understanding when you’re experiencing mental health difficulties and what you need to improve them
- Finding ways to manage your stress
- The importance of connecting with others
- Seeking professional help
- Empathy versus sympathy
- The importance of self advocacy in improving your mental health
To watch the video recording for this episode, click here.
To download the transcript, click here.
more from the davis Phinney foundation
- Visit the Parkinson’s Care Partners Topic Page to find videos, articles, books, and more.
Additional Offerings from the Davis Phinney Foundation
Contact us anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org