In this webinar, Dr. John Eric Duda, the Director of the Parkinson's Disease Research, Education and Clinical Center (PADRECC) and a co-director of the Center for Neurotrauma, Neurodegeneration and Restoration of the Michael J. Crescenz Veterans Administration Medical Center answers a wide variety of questions on Parkinson's nutrition.
Dr. Soania Mathur, a family physician and Davis Phinney Foundation Board Member who has been living with Parkinson’s for over 20 years, moderates the discussion and makes it useful and accessible for people with Parkinson’s and their care partners.
To get access to the recording of the webinar, click here.
Some of the questions Dr. Duda answers on in this webinar include:
- I keep losing weight (that I don’t want to lose). What’s happening and what can I do about it?
- No matter what I do, I keep gaining weight. What’s happening and what can I do about it?
- I’m constipated all the time. Is there anything I can do?”
- If I take regular doses of carbidopa/levodopa, should that impact when and what I should eat?
- I’ve heard so much about the (keto, vegan, paleo, vegetarian, raw, etc.) diet for people with Parkinson’s? Does it really work?
- Lately, I’ve been having a lot of trouble with chewing and swallowing. It makes it really difficult to eat. What can I do?
- What is gastric emptying? Is it common in people with Parkinson’s? Is there anything I can do to reduce/eliminate it?
- What should I eat before and after I exercise?
- Is drinking coffee really beneficial for people with Parkinson’s?
- Does alcohol make symptoms worse?
- Are there any nutritional choices I can make that might help with sleep?
- Is there anything I can do nutritionally to help reduce symptoms of nOH?
- How much water should people with Parkinson's drink?
- There’s a lot of information out there about the link between the gut and brain and inflammation in diseases such as Parkinson’s What’s important for me to know about it?
- And many more!
This webinar was made possible by a grant* from Acorda Therapeutics and by sponsorship* by Kyowa Kirin.
*While the generous support of this grant and our sponsors makes our educational programs available,
their donations do not influence Davis Phinney Foundation content, perspective, or speaker selection.
Want to Watch More Webinars on How to Live Well with Parkinson's?
You can find our entire library of upcoming and past webinars here.