For many living with Parkinson’s, DBS has the power to reduce or eliminate OFF times, reduce the frequency and dose of medications, and dramatically improve quality of life.
In this podcast, learn the what, when, why, how, and more of DBS from movement disorder specialists who recommend it, surgeons who perform it, companies that make the devices, and someone who has been living with it for over five years.
In this 90-minute panel, our experts answered a wide variety of questions:
- What is DBS or deep brain stimulation? (06:11)
- When do you begin to think of DBS as a potential treatment for a person with Parkinson’s? (06:50)
- What symptoms does DBS help? (08:37)
- What symptoms don’t respond to DBS? (10:40)
- What criteria do you use to determine who’s eligible for DBS? Who has the best outcomes? (14:11)
- What criteria exclude people from being a good candidate for DBS? (16:34)
- What workups do your patients undergo to determine whether or not they’re eligible for DBS? (18:55)
- What’s the ideal timing for DBS? (22:08)
- How does DBS impact Parkinson’s progression? (24:46)
- What are the different types of DBS devices? (28:06)
- What does the surgical prep involve? (32:16)
- What does the surgery involve? (34:52)
- What’s the difference between asleep vs. awake DBS? (39:14)
- What are the risks of DBS? (42:03)
- How do you decide which area of the brain to target? (46:54)
- Is DBS typically done on one side or both? (50:35)
- How does DBS programming work? (55:20)
- What symptoms can get worse after DBS? (1:02:39)
- What can you do if your DBS is no longer working? (1:05:49)
- Can DBS be reversed? (1:08:28)
- What is the future of DBS? (1:11:57)
- What is closed-loop DBS? (1:15:08)
If you’d like to watch the video of this session instead, click here.
CONCEPTS MENTIONED IN THIS PODCAST & FURTHER READING
- Deep Brain Stimulation for Parkinson’s – A Virtual Forum Transcript
- The What, Why, How & More of DBS for the Newly Diagnosed
- Life Before & After Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS)
- When DBS Powers Down: A Personal Account of What Happens When the Device Stops Working
- Life Before and After Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) with Brendan Cain
- Living with Parkinson’s: What is OFF?
- How to Communicate What it Means to Be OFF
- A Parkinson’s Diagnosis with Dr. Aaron Haug
- The long-term efficacy of STN vs GPi deep brain stimulation for Parkinson disease: A meta-analysis.
- Three-Year Gait and Axial Outcomes of Bilateral STN and GPi Parkinson’s Disease Deep Brain Stimulation
- What is Focused Ultrasound (FUS) for Parkinson’s?
- Long-term outcomes following deep brain stimulation for Parkinson’s disease.
- Long-Term Satisfaction and Patient-Centered Outcomes of Deep Brain Stimulation in Parkinson’s Disease
- Swimmers Beware of Deep Brain Stimulation
- Find a DBS Specialist – Abbott
- Find a DBS Specialist – Contact Boston Scientific
- Find a DBS Specialist – Medtronic
Thanks for Listening!
To share your thoughts:
- Leave a note in the comment section below.
- Ask a question by emailing us here.
- Share this show on Facebook.
To help out the show:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help, and we read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes.
Listen & Subscribe
*The Second Season of the Parkinson’s Podcast is made possible through generous support in honor of Dr. Margaret Hilgartner.