Parkinson’s can affect sleep in many ways, ranging from trouble falling or staying asleep at night to excessive sleepiness during the day. Good sleep boosts everything from your mood to your ability to think and process to your physical movement. Understanding sleep problems and Parkinson’s is often the first step you can take to enhance your sleep.
To download the transcript, click here.
Note: This is not a flawless word-for-word transcript, but it's close.
IN THIS EPISODE WITH DR. RONALD POSTUMA, YOU WILL LEARN:
- What causes sleep problems in Parkinson’s
- The difference between sleep changes related to aging and those related to Parkinson’s
- The difference between sleepiness and fatigue
- The connection between sleep and medication
- Different types of sleep disorders (somnolence, insomnia, REM sleep behavior disorder) and how to treat them
- And much more!
Medications & Treatments Mentioned During this Podcast
|Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)||Psycho-social intervention|
|LightBox||Box that gives off bright light that mimics natural outdoor light|
|Lunesta (Eszopiclone)||Benzodiazepine receptor agonists (BZRAs)|
|Pregabalin (Lyrica)||GABA analogue|
CONCEPTS MENTIONED IN THIS PODCAST & FURTHER READING
- A Primer on Sleep and Parkinson's
- Every Victory Counts® manual for living well with Parkinson’s
- Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams by Matthew Walker, PhD
- The Joe Rogan Experience Episode #1109 - Matthew Walker
- Why Is It So Hard to Sleep Now That I Have Parkinson's?
- Sleepiness and Fatigue in Parkinson's and What To Do About Them
- Making the Best of a Bad Night's Sleep
- 9 Easy Tips for a Better Night's Sleep with Parkinson's
- What is REM Sleep Behavior Disorder?
- Living Well with REM Sleep Behavior Disorder
- The effects of sleeping pills on mortality and cancer rates
- The influence of sleep on Parkinson's symptoms
- RBD as a pre-motor symptom and predictor of Parkinson's
- Meta-analysis of treatments for Parkinson's sleep disorders
- Multifactorial sleep disturbances in Parkinson's
- Restless Leg Syndrome Fact Sheet
- Fox Trial Finder
- Clinical Trials Finder
Thanks for Listening!
To share your thoughts:
- Leave a note in the comment section below.
- Ask a question by emailing us here.
- Share this show on Facebook.
To help out the show:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help, and we read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes.
Listen & Subscribe
*The Second Season of the Parkinson’s Podcast is made possible through generous support in honor of Dr. Margaret Hilgartner.