Being “locked down” has caused many of the Parkinson’s care partners in our community to look at the life they’ve been living and assess whether it’s working or not. I say I want to live well, but am I? Am I taking the actions I need to every day to feel energized, connected, and strong? Do I know how to give care to another AND also to myself?
In this episode, Kelsey Phinney sits down with her mom, Connie Carpenter Phinney, to talk about…
- The difference between compassion, empathy, and sympathy and why it’s important to know the difference
- How to manage your care partner duties
- How to speak about caregiving to others
- How to stay resilient as a care partner
- How to reset
- The most important vitamin you should take every day
- How to find the gifts and lessons during this global health crisis
CONCEPTS MENTIONED IN THIS PODCAST & FURTHER READING
- Upaya Zen Center
- G.R.A.C.E.: Training in Cultivating Compassion-based Interactions
- Compassion at the Edge by Roshi Joan Halifax
- Emotional Empathy by Roshi Joan Halifax
- Infusing Compassion and Empathy Into Pain Care with Roshi Joan Halifax
Thanks for Listening!
To share your thoughts:
- Leave a note in the comment section below.
- Ask a question by emailing us here.
- Share this show on Facebook.
To help out the show:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help, and we read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes.
Listen & Subscribe
*The Second Season of the Parkinson’s Podcast is made possible through generous support in honor of Dr. Margaret Hilgartner.