Webinar Recording: Deep Brain Stimulation:
What, When, Why, and How?
With Dr. Kara Beasley
This Webinar was recorded live on April 18, 2019.
This webinar is for people with Parkinson’s and their care partners who want to learn:
- How Deep Brain Stimulation works
- About the different types of DBS
- What symptoms it does and does not help
- How to decide what DBS device to get when there are so many options available
- How the approval/evaluation process works
- About the ethical implications/dilemmas related to DBS
- The reality of DBS programming
- The biggest myths or misunderstandings about DBS
- And much more!
Your Instructor for the Webinar
Dr. Kara Beasley is a neurosurgeon with Boulder Neurosurgical & Spine Associates (BNA). She completed a dual degree in medicine with an MA in Biomedical Ethics at Midwestern University in Glendale, AZ and is one of only a few dually credentialed neurosurgeon bioethicists in the world. She completed a general neurosurgery residency at Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine in Philadelphia, PA. Before joining BNA, Dr. Beasley also completed fellowships in Stereotactic Radiosurgery at Cooper University Hospital in Camden, NJ, and Functional and Restorative Neurosurgery at The Cleveland Clinic Foundation in Cleveland, OH. Dr. Beasley decided to dedicate her career in part to the surgical treatment of Parkinson’s after meeting people with Parkinson’s and learning about deep brain stimulation during her training.